Types of water odours & related concerns:
– Petroleum, gasoline, turpentine, fuel, or solvent odors: These odors are rare, but potentially serious.
– Metallic taste: Minerals, such as iron or copper, may leach into the water from the pipes.
– Chlorine, chemical, or medicinal taste or odors.
– Sulfur or rotten egg odour: Bacteria growing in your sink drain or hot water heater may cause odor.
– Moldy, musty, earthy, grassy, or fishy odour: Bacteria growing in a sink drain or from organic matter such as plants, animals, or bacteria that are naturally present in lakes and reservoirs during certain times of the year may cause odour.
– Salty taste: High levels of naturally occurring sodium, magnesium, or potassium may cause a salty taste. If you live in a coastal area, seawater may be seeping into the fresh water supply. This could be a health threat.